One Amazing Thing

Austin Wedding Photographer - Rooted Trumpet Photography - Blog Post

One Amazing Thing

Years ago I read a book called One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni. In summary, there is a sudden earthquake that traps multiple strangers together in a passport and visa office. With no escape and nothing else to do but wait in hope for someone to rescue them, the strangers decided to each share a story from their lives that they had never told anyone else before.

A character named Uma suggests the idea by saying, "Everyone has a story. I don't believe anyone can go through life without encountering at least one amazing thing."

Life is full of amazing things, whether those things be circumstances, interactions with people, thought-provoking books, the smell of freshly-brewed coffee, or even the flower pictured above that I took at Pace Bend Park a few weeks ago. I don't believe just one amazing thing happens to us in our lifetime. I think we encounter amazing things every day in the regular, simple, busy happenings of our lives. Whether or not we notice them is something else altogether.

In the back of the novel, Chitra Divakaruni answers questions about the book for her readers (and yes, I am one of those people that reads even the study questions in the back of the book). One inquired, "What does the title One Amazing Thing mean to you?" Chitra answered, "The title refers to my belief that the world is filled with wonders. All too often we are so busy with our daily preoccupations that we fail to fully notice the wondrous nature of the people and situations and things we encounter."

One of my goals for blogging will, of course, be to share about my love for photography, but I also want to slow down and truly connect with people - to not only learn about their "one amazing thing" but to share in their days filled with wonders.

If you're reading this post and would like to grab coffee or lunch, please comment or contact me HERE! I would love to connect with you! Cheers to my first blog post ever!

Hannah Seliga

Related Posts

8 Comments

Mercedes - May 18th, 2017 at 12:45pm

I love the idea of meeting up with people, one-on-one, to learn about their one amazing thing! And that photograph is lovely :)

Corbin Seliga - May 18th, 2017 at 1:04pm

I am so lucky to have you as my wife. You are simply amazing and complexly fascinating. I am grateful for the beautiful moments you get to capture and thankful for your incredibly hard work building Rooted Trumpet Photography.

I'm glad I get to grab coffee with you.

Elise - May 18th, 2017 at 2:30pm

Hannah this is terrific!! In all the years I've known you, this blog post so accurately depicts you - so intentional about seeing the good around you and focusing on the "amazing thing(s)" in life! Super proud of you and love all of your work with Rooted Trumpet Photography!!

Kimberly - May 18th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Wow. I was going to leave a comment but then I got distracted by how sweet your husbands comment was. That makes me want to cry. Lucky girl.

Erin Chambers - May 18th, 2017 at 9:05pm

Hannah, this was so beautiful. ❤️ I loved every word. I think you are amazing and one of the sweetest humans. i can't wait to read more about your love for photography and learn more about the stories behind your pictures. it's a beautiful thing. good job girl!

Cass - May 18th, 2017 at 10:24pm

I looooove coffee dates and would love to get together some time!

Jan - May 19th, 2017 at 10:17am

I have always loved your focus on the positive. I agree, AMAZING things happen to us every day, and we miss them for a variety of reasons. Let's share amazing experiences and great coffee.

Hannah Seliga - June 19th, 2017 at 4:30pm

Thank you all for reading my blog and leaving your encouraging comments!! :) I truly appreciate it!

Welcome to my blog!

I'm so glad you're here!

Recent